Friday, September 17, 2010

Seeing America through different eyes

In preparation for the Global Outreach Conference (November 6-14), several of us are reading books on Asian immigrant experiences in the U.S. Right now, I'm devouring Stubborn Twig by Lauren Kessler, which tells the story of three generation of a Japanese American family (1903-2005).

Right now I'm reading about the patriarch Masuo Yasui--his hard work, determination, ingenuity, and thrift--and his young family. And I'm struggling with all the racism they encountered. It's not that I disbelieve the accounts; in fact, I'm sure that living with such hatred was much worse than the factual presentation in the book. But I'm saddened, disturbed, and convicted, as I wonder how different other immigrants' experiences are today (if at all).

And I haven't yet read about the Yasuis' internment during World War II...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home