Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hymn Singing

In my preparation for the sermon series on Ephesians 4, I came across this quote from Dr. Boice (from his second sermon in Ephesians):

"I have been a pastor in one place or another for more than two decades, and during that time I have probably put together between 1,300 and 1,400 worship services. These services have had various elements, all important: the sermon, Scripture readings, hymns, prayers, congregational responses, and other items. I value each of these. But as I have reflected on the worship of Christian people over this long period, I have come to believe that one of the most important aspects of all the various parts of worship is hymn singing. Why? Because it is in hymn singing that the congregation itself actively voices praise to God.


"The sermon is important. We learn from the sermon. But doctrine, if it is rightly understood, leads to doxology. If we discover who God is and what he has done for us, we will praise him."

2 Comments:

Blogger cskempf said...

I remember with pleasure the evening service long ago when Jim preached. We began by singing two hymns in a row (dear and familiar ones, like And Can It Be or When the Roll is Called Up Yonder); it really built in expression and emotion in a wonderful way.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous D. A. N. said...

I'm a Tenth snooper who laments never having been there.. The quote surprises me to some degree, but less so, the more I learn about Dr. Boice. Actually, I had just resolved to learn all the words to his "Hymns for a Modern Reformation" .. my church doesn't do hymns but I find myself hungering for them.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home