Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Grace

Phil posted on reformation21 this tribute by Chun Lai for his father who recently died.

Grace.

One definition of the word grace is unmerited favor. That is, when you get what you don’t deserve, in the positive direction.Grace is an important word in my life. Grace is the basis of my relationship with Jesus Christ. Grace is what my wife gives me every day so that we might stay married to each other. Grace is so important that we named our daughter Karis, which means Grace in Ancient Greek.

As I thought about my Dad, I realized that Grace defined my relationship with him too. I did not deserve for him to fill a whole garbage bag full of toys instead of a little stocking at Christmas time - it was grace, unmerited favour from my Dad.

I did not deserve for him to endure most of his life in a third world country so that I could get an education and have a life in a first world country - it was grace, unmerited favour from my Dad.
I did not deserve for him to still like me even though my current career choice is one he did not understand - it was grace, unmerited favour from my Dad. I was delighted to hear that my Dad professed faith in Christ and was baptized a few years ago. If his profession and repentance was real, I have great hope that God will graciously give my Dad what he does not deserve - Eternal Life with Him in Heaven.

It is this great hope that makes this time of sadness bearable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home