Monday, December 12, 2005

Christmas Expecting

(Author and ending to be revealed tomorrow)

Being pregnant in 1991 with our fifth child (due date December 20th) was both exhilarating and exhausting. Our oldest had just turned seven earlier that year and managing our busy household through the holidays was a bit of a challenge, especially when I'm the type that prefers spontaneity over routine.

Having been pregnant before, I knew to expect differences, but as I got closer to my due date, busy though I was, it seemed I was noticing less movement from this baby. I tried to reason with myself that maybe with all of my busyness, the baby was just lulled to sleep more often.

One of the things I love about my husband, however, is his love of books, especially the Bible. At bedtimes, his reading out loud with all of us huddled together in one of the rooms is always a treat but around Christmas, when it is time for the story of Jesus' birth to be read and reread, there's just something even more special. One night during family Bible reading, the section of scripture being read was from Luke Chapter One... "When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb." Almost imperceptibly, the little one growing inside of me turned or rolled quietly, almost as if on cue. I was so grateful to the Lord. The odd thing was, however, that later that week while my husband once again read... "And the baby leaped in her womb," I felt that gentle rolling again of the unborn baby within. To me, twice on the same verse had to be a sign from the Lord. It was His peace that I felt and believe me, to that I clung.

However, the days were whizzing by. Why even our due date of December 20th had come and gone. The closer Christmas got, the longer my to-do list grew. I just wasn't accomplishing as much as I had hoped. Only one answer, keep moving! But the trouble was, I wasn't noticing much movement of the baby and now I began to secretly worry. (to be continued tomorrow)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home