Friday, August 19, 2005

Judgment and Mercy

The following question was sent to me following Sunday's sermon on the tongue:

Thank you for Sunday’s sermon and for the important reminder and illustrations of the power of the tongue! Every now and then, though, as a result of a sermon, or something I have read I am once more confronted with confusion that perhaps you can help me with. I do not believe that I have a good, biblical understanding of the final judgment for Christians. On the one hand, I am confronted with texts like the one you mentioned from Matthew 12:36, 37 which certainly seems to indicate that when we speak harshly we are certainly sinning and that sin will be brought up on the day of judgment. Then I come to reading texts like Isaiah 43:25…God says, “I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more.” “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.” (Hebrews 8:12). I believe that as a Christian, Jesus has taken all of my sin, every single one, past, present and future, and has suffered God’s wrath for all of my sins so that when God the Father sees me, He sees the righteousness of Jesus. So, what is the biblical understanding of a final judgment for Christians when our sins are remembered no more, and yet they seem to come in to play at the final judgment? Would you help me to finally grasp the truth? Thank you!


That’s a great question. There is a tension between our sins being revealed on the last day and the mercy that will be displayed to us. I will be teaching about that mercy this coming Sunday night. As Christians, the thought of Christ’s return should be filled with hope and joy. 1 Peter 1:3-11 speaks to this glorious hope. So, when it comes to judgment on the Final Day, we should approach that day with confidence. The passages such as in Matthew 12 serve several purposes: one is to sober everyone about the standard of judgment. Most people believe they will be allowed into heaven because the bar of acceptance is rather low. For Christians, such passages should sober us in two ways. They should prevent us from abusing our liberty in Christ. Knowing that our sins will be revealed should temper such an attitude towards sin that says, “God is going to forgive me anyway.” Such passages also remind us of the standard God looks for in our “fruit.” Our sanctification includes more than making us church-goers and fairly decent people. It includes everything we say, do, and think. Everything!

Finally, such passages should impress upon us the depth of God’s mercy shown in Christ. God doesn’t forgive because on the whole we are pretty good; he forgives because of Christ’s atoning work alone. Almost everything we have said, done, or thought could be used against us (if not everything). But praise be to God for such mercy shown in Christ who never committed a single sin in word, deed, and thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home