Monday, December 19, 2011

The Angel's Story

For the five days of this week, I will post advent stories that I first gave in my church in Florida. Hope you enjoy them.


The Angel’s Story
I remember the story well as if it were but yesterday.  Time does not have quite the same effect on me as it does you human creatures. My memory does not become dim like yours. It is a good story.

My first message was for the old priest Zechariah. You know, only once in a lifetime is a country priest allowed to offer incense to the Lord inside the temple. Even then one is chosen by lot and many miss out. But my Master made arrangements for that day. His lucky break had been appointed, not to make the offering, but to receive my message.
I frightened him. We angels always do. We don’t mean to, mind you. I don’t know if it’s the surprise (there are no footsteps for you to hear) or something about our appearance. Well, anyhow, there he was half scared out of his wits. Maybe that is the reason he reacted the way he did when I gave him the good news that he and Elizabeth would have a baby. He had prayed every day for a child, I think more for his wife’s sake than his own. Barrenness is difficult, especially for the woman. I say he was praying, but he was probably no different from most people who pray for something for a long time. After awhile it becomes just something to do. The hope, the expectation of an answer dies out.
That, no doubt, was the case with Zechariah. He had prayed that very morning for a child, but when I told him his prayer had been heard, he wouldn’t believe me. He wanted evidence. Now, I consider myself a patient angel. I realize Zechariah was just being human, but really, I am an angel; it is not as if a mere preacher was giving him the news. Wasn’t my presence alone enough proof for him? I stand in the presence of God. Let me see him try to do that. Isaiah knows what it is like. And here is this little priest questioning if I knew what I was saying.
I gave him evidence all right. He would not speak again until he saw his baby. It may have seemed a harsh sentence, but at least it got my message across and gave his wife a little peace.
My second message was to Mary, a sweet young girl. This assignment was different for me. I’ve been sent to deliver special messages before, but this one…well, even I was shaken. To tell this maiden that she would bear the Holy One of God was as overwhelming for me to tell as it was for her to hear. Usually I say first my “do not fear” routine, because I realize the person is awed at seeing me. But it was my turn to be awed, and I blurted out, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.” 
Her troubled expression put me back to my senses, and I remembered that I was speaking to a mortal human. I encouraged her not to be afraid and then delivered the message I was sent to give that she was to bear the Messiah, the Son of God. She did not doubt like Zechariah, and she asked a good question about how she would bear a child when she had yet to be married. It saved what could have been a serious misunderstanding. I’ve noticed that humans like to take things into their own hands, all because they think they must figure out for God how to carry out his assignment. Sarah was that way. Where did she get the idea that God needed Hagar to keep his promise to her for a child? What if Mary had assumed that she should quickly get pregnant by Joseph or someone else? Then she would have had a mess on her hands!
She showed a lot of wisdom with that question, but it was her final word that will always leave the deepest impression on me: “I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as you have said.” An angel could not have spoken more fittingly. 
The third message, well, that was the most fun. I had shepherds to go to, and this time the Lord let the fullness of his glory be displayed through me. Boy, it was fun! I’m invisible for a moment. The shepherds are having a quiet night. A couple of them were yawning and about to nod off, and then, Pow! I suddenly appear with an intense light all about me. That woke them up! Again, I said the old line, “Do not be afraid,” but, hah, how could they not be? Even I have to admit I was a bit terrifying clothed in the glory of the Lord.
I told them the greatest news that anyone had ever heard before – that the Messiah was born – with directions on how to find him. And then – this was a great touch – a whole company of angels appeared with me. Not a few. Try to imagine thousands of angels like me suddenly appearing and shouting praise to God. I’m told it’s like having Niagara Falls suddenly appear around you. I assure you, the shepherds didn’t forget that experience.
Yes, it’s a good story, but I have one more visit to tell of. I went to that stable too and looked upon the little infant, and it scared me. I needed someone to tell me not to be afraid. You see, that infant was the glorious Lord in whose presence that I had told Zechariah I stood. He was the God whom I had worshipped since my own creation and whose commands I obeyed. And it scared me to see him like the humans whom my very presence scared. 
This was my King? Why was he doing the work of a servant? He was the Head of the army of all the heavenly angels. Why was he now placed in a helpless state? Why become a mere man lower than me? 
I was there when poor Isaiah was brought into the presence of the holy God. I pitied him in his fear. But in the presence of the little baby dressed in rags of cloth, I knew then, such fear. I knew what it was like to think I had known God, only to be thrust into the presence of a God more wondrous, more holy, more loving than I could have ever imagined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home