Friday, July 08, 2011

Planet Narnia

I have finally gotten to reading Planet Narnia, the literary critique of the Narnia Chronicles It is written by Lewis scholar Michael Ward and presents the "secret code" for understanding the interlocking theme of the books, which is that each book presents the outlook of the "seven heavens" as understood in medieval cosmology. The book is brilliant.
The scholarly grasp of Lewis is itself impressive, and Ward yet still manages to write in a style that we laypersons can understand. If you read this book (which is in the church library), I assure you that your appreciation for C. S. Lewis will climb ever higher, no matter what pedestal you might now have him on. Your love for the Narnia books will not be lessened, but all the more you will enjoy them as you  read and keep saying to yourself, "Yes, yes, I see what he is doing!" Indeed, you will even be surprised at the theological depths you will explore.

2 Comments:

Blogger dori said...

Thanks for posting this review Marion.

I saw this book in the new addition section of my public library. Because I saw it there I didn't even pick it up to look at it, assuming it to be a type of "DaVinci Code" treatment or debunking of Lewis's great work.

Now I'm off to the library to see if it's still there for me to borrow!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Sylvia Duggan said...

Too bad Dori doesn't still live in Philly, there is a copy in the Tenth Chruch Library. I will try and get it on the display stand by the time the library is open on Sunday at 10:30!

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home