Wednesday, June 23, 2010

About Phil

By Jennifer Maddox (read at the funeral of Philip Beauford)

Phil was a wonderful human being. I met my husband nine years ago. Phil was my first true friend and mentor. Everyone who knew Phil – knew that he was someone they could talk to. Phil was a very confidential person – you couldn’t get a thing out of him. Phil would do anything for you, he was a person who just loved people, and this was a gift that the Lord gave him. Phil talked the talk and walked the walk. He was an example to all of us here at Tenth and let us all remember that. Phil loved his mother, brothers, sisters, children, and grandchildren, and, oh, how I will always remember his beautiful smile.


Phil was also very outspoken, he didn’t care what you thought of him, and he didn’t care if you liked him or not. Phil would still speak to you even if you stopped talking to him. Phil always spoke of a verse from 1 Corinthians 4:7: “For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did not indeed receive it, Why do you boast as if you had not received it?” He said when we act better than others you don’t want to be like them. You are glorifying the Lord by speaking to them even if they don’t speak back. Plus when I would complain about this or that, Phil would say, “who are you trying to please? Man or Jesus?” I know a lot of us heard him say this.

Phil loved Jesus Christ. I’ve never met anyone who loved the Lord as much as he did. He often said God talked to him and he heard him. Phil also did not believe in second marriages after divorce (1 Corinthians 7:10). He was a testimony to God’s Word.

My heart is hurting. I am angry. But God says it was time for Phil to come home. Phil was ready to go home.

I was alone with my husband when he died. I noticed the room was very quiet, and when I turned around and said, “Lord, Phil is not breathing,” then I noticed a bright glowing light shining on Phil’s face. That light only lasted a few seconds. At that point the nurse walked into the room, and I stated that Phil was not breathing. At that point I knew that God was telling me that my Phil is now home. That will be a moment that I will never forget.

I would like to say to Phil’s mother, children, brother, sisters, grandchildren, and the rest of his family that I fell in love with Phil and loved him with all of my heart. One of our last conversations was when he said, “Brown-eyes (his nickname for me), women always liked me, but they never loved me. You love me.” And I truly did. I am truly sorry for your loss, you are all hurting just at much as I am. Please remember that Phil is happy now. He told me to always pray for his children and the rest of his family and I will.

If you ever find a true friend please cherish that friendship. Phil Beauford was a true friend to many people. The last thing that I’d like to leave you with is one of Phil’s favorite sayings that he always said after the end of preaching at the shelters. “You don’t want to die without Jesus Christ and go to hell.” Then he would read his favorite Bible passage from Ezekiel 36:25-28:

Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them.

There will never be another Philip Beauford. Jesus was his life and he would say AMEN!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer, thank you for sharing this beautiful and personal testimony.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Cora's Asian Oddyssey said...

Amen! Jennifer. Phil was unique and he reflected the character of Jesus Christ so faithfully.

You are blessed to have had these months of marriage to an extraordinary man. How much you must miss him!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home