Monday, February 08, 2010

Preparing for Communion

Phil made reference during the communion service to an email sent by Pat Canavan to the newest Tenth communicants class. Here is the email.

Dear Caleb, Gabrielle, Thomas, Misha, Ashley, Leah, Josh, David, Olivia, and Isaac:

This next Sunday is a Communion Sunday and will be the first time you participate in the communion service at Tenth as a member. I want to help prepare you with something that has been a help to me in getting ready for communion.

There are four things I take time to review the night before the service (it is easy when you think of the acrostic CART):

1. Confess my sins. I review the 10 Commandments to see where I have fallen short.
2. Ask for grace to repent and turn away from these sins.
3. Remember that Jesus died for these very same sins and I have complete forgiveness in Him.
4. Thank God for providing such a perfect High Priest, without whom I would be still in my sin.

Our fellowship with God is the sweetest treasure we have and we should guard it carefully and jealously. I hope you develop this habit of self-examination before every communion; our spiritual forefathers, the Puritans, ended each day with this kind of examination.

Finally, try to do this examination the night before the service; sometimes the mornings are so hectic, you either forget or you rush through it.

Email me with any questions you may have. Even though the Communicants class is over, I still remember you all in my prayers.

Mr. Canavan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home