Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A New Call

From Jerry McFarland:

My Dear Tenth Family,

I am writing with a heart filled with mixed emotions. I have accepted a call to a pastoral position in a PCA church in Cary, NC. It has been an agonizing six months of prayer and soul searching trying to determine the Lord's work in our lives. If you would have told me six months ago I would be writing this email declaring a move to NC, I would have laughed - I'm a Philadelphia guy! I've never lived more than 200 miles from my home!! What was I thinking?!

My role at Tenth has been a dual blessing. It has satisfied my desire to continue in my first calling as an ordained minister. I love the church of Christ and it has been an honor to minister the Word to you formally and informally. The other blessing has been the way you have ministered to me and my family. Our move here from Maryland twelve years ago was exciting but difficult, but we found a home at Tenth.

Over the past few years I have sensed a growing hunger for more in terms of ministry in the church, and though I have loved being a part of the Tenth staff it was just a tease for more! My ministry at Westminster has been a rich blessing as well but I found myself burdened for the covenant family and the leaders of Christ's church.

"Out of the blue" I received an email from a young senior minister from Cary, NC saying my name had been mentioned as a possible candidate for the position, Associate Minister for Pastoral Care. He said he told his session upon becoming senior minister that he wanted to hire a seasoned pastor for the purpose of shepherding this flock, encouraging and training the elders, along with mentoring their pastor.

Bev and I believe nothing in the Lord’s providence is “accidental,” so we would at least have some initial conversations knowing nothing would materialize. In each step of the process it became very apparent that they saw my gifts matching perfectly with the needs and personality of the church. We still had our doubts, especially with the thought of leaving you and this area. Our continual interviews and interactions made it clear on paper this was what I was looking for.

We count our time in Philly and especially at Tenth as a place and season in which the Lord has given us a "home." It's hard to imagine saying goodbye, so we won't right now! Our plan is to leave after the first of the year so there will be time. We solicit your prayers for our move and all the arrangements that need to be made.

Thank you on behalf of Bev and our family. We will be eternally grateful!

With love and thanksgiving in Jesus,
Jerry and Bev

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon S. said...

I know a kingdom mentality means I should rejoice in the blessings a church in NC will gain... but I confess, I am sad!

10:16 AM  
Blogger M Clark said...

Me too!

10:56 AM  
Blogger s duggan said...

I wish you could have seen the shocked and sad face on my husband when I mentioned this post, we echo Sharon's sentiments and thank jerry and bev for the mentoring and heart probing aproach to applying scripture to life that they have shared with our family and so many others through his sunday schools, work with the elder trainees and his preaching. I hope the NC church appreciates the blessing they are recieving.

10:51 AM  
Blogger dori said...

I remember meeting the McFarland's in Reception Hall when they first came to 10th and I asked..."you're new here aren't you?"...haha! Both of them have been such a testimony of the JOY of the Lord! They have blessed and nourished many in the congregation...they will indeed be missed. Our Church certainly is a "sending" Church!

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home