Thursday, August 02, 2007

CCC Ministry

Here is Luke Herche's second part on the ministry to college students by CCC (City College and Career).

Good questions have been raised about mixing college students with other older young adults? Will college students necessarily shy away from or turn up their noses at the opportunity to fellowship with “older” young adults? For starters, I can speak from personal experience. When I first came to TCU ten years ago the group was then varied in age—I would venture to say no less varied than it is today. Even as a freshman in college, I saw this as a good thing. It gave me a sense that I was a part of something bigger. It gave me older men in the faith that I could look up to and learn from. And in general I was thankful and honored by the fact that someone a number of years older than I would be willing to hang out with me on a Friday night.

We are thinking, too, of the students we are reaching in our community. Many Center City art students resent pandering. They don’t want to go to “college” functions. They don’t like being labeled (whether that label is accurate or not). They live as fully integrated members of the city and city life (as much as anyone else is fully integrated). They feel as if they live and breathe city life, not college life. To try to aim at them solely as college students misses the mark. They are young adults living and breathing the city, and appreciate having a welcoming place where they can meet other city dwellers committed to Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home