Monday, June 05, 2006

Where's Phil

(An exerpt from Phil's Tenth Press article about his summer plans. Beginning today he will be away from the church through September 3.)

This summer I will be taking the five weeks that still remain from my first sabbatical to work on three main projects, which I am sharing here for your prayers and also as a matter of my accountability as your pastor.

The three projects I have in view are all writing projects. The first is to edit my expositions of 1 Timothy for publication in the Reformed Expository Commentary series published by P&R. The second is to write new material for the ESV Literary Bible – a Bible reference tool that I am working to produce in collaboration with my father, Dr. Leland Ryken of Wheaton College. In effect, we are taking the Bible handbook we recently wrote together to the next level, and by the end of the summer I hope to write the introductions and notes for about a dozen books of the Bible.

The third project is to do ongoing translation work on a book by Oliver Bowles called De Pastore Evangelico Tractatus (or, A Treatise on the Evangelical Pastor). Dr. Bowles was the oldest member of the Westminster Assembly and taught practical theology at Queen’s College, Cambridge. Unfortunately, his excellent book on pastoral ministry has never been available in English. For the benefit of pastors, primarily, my friend Jonathan Rockey and I are engaged in a long-term project to translate the work from the original Latin. If all goes well, we hope to translate at least 50 pages of this 400-page work.

I do have a few other plans for the summer. These include three or four weeks of family vacation, including a trip to Wheaton to see my sisters; four days at the PCA General Assembly in Atlanta; a short trip to Trinidad (with elder Bill Langford) to teach at a men’s retreat; and a 20-day speaking tour in South Africa (with Josh Ryken).

It will be a full summer, and needless to say, I have a great need for prayer. Please pray that I would do excellent work that God can use to bless people who study and teach the Bible, and that the Holy Spirit would use my teaching to make a difference in people’s lives for Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home