Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Narnia Review

Ginger, Sarah, and I saw Narnia last night and give it high marks. I think the producer did a good balancing act of making the movie tense enough for adults to enjoy and children not to be terrified by. Most criticisms I read are by adults who complain about not being moved enough by Aslan. My guess is that most children will find him compelling. We liked the beavers especially. If you've never read the book, you will be pleased with the scenes. If you've read the book, you will be aghast that the movie deletes the most famous lines of the book:

"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver. "Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you."

Why, why, why were those lines omitted?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they were omitted because the screenwriter didn't understand their importance. Because we love the Aslan/Christ comparison, we love those lines. A variation on the lines was at the very end of the movie- I thought it was close, but would've preferred them in their original form and place.

We liked the beavers, too!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home