Monday, October 10, 2005

Celebrating Ten

Ten years ago, Tenth Church called a young man to fill a newly created position Minister of Preaching. He was to preach in the evening and fill in for the Senior Minister in the mornings. The church settled on Phil Ryken. This Sunday we will mark that momentous event during the Living Church in the morning services. You may want to take opportunity yourselves to let him know what you think of his service here. Use the Comments section or take time to write or email.

1 Comments:

Blogger JesseHubley said...

Sorry I'm a little late on this post, but here are some thoughts...

I first came to Tenth in the summer of 2002 as a fairly new and very immature Christian. I had heard of Tenth through word of mouth, and attended a Sunday evening service, at which Phil happened to be preaching. I was instantly hooked. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) soon began to attend with me also. Tenth became my first true church home.

Since then, I have benefited greatly from Phil's preaching and teaching, and also from some of his written works (The Prayer of Our Lord, and The Heart of the Cross come to mind). His clear presentation of the importance of trusting in Christ for all our earthly and eternal needs, and his bold emphasis on the depravity of our sin has opened the door for the Holy Spirit to convict me and to help me grow in God's grace continually.

Beyond his excellent teaching, I am also constantly amazed at Phil's willingness to know Tenth members and attendees on a personal basis. For someone with so many family and ministry responsibilities combined with such a large congregation, it is no small endeavor to make so many personal connections and small group commitments.

I pray that God continues to bless Phil's teaching, writing, and preaching, and somewhat selfishly, I hope that we are celebrating his 20th year at Tenth church in 2015!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home