Monday, July 02, 2012

A Father's Counsel


Proverbs 4:1-9

Hear, O sons, a father's instruction,
and be attentive, that you may gain insight,
for I give you good precepts;
do not forsake my teaching.
When I was a son with my father,
tender, the only one in the sight of my mother,
he taught me and said to me,
"Let your heart hold fast my words;
keep my commandments, and live.
Get wisdom; get insight;
do not forget,
and do not turn away from the words of my mouth.
Do not forsake her, and she will keep you;
love her, and she will guard you.
The beginning of wisdom is this:
Get wisdom,
and whatever you get, get insight.
Prize her highly, and she will exalt you;
she will honor you if you embrace her.
She will place on your head a graceful garland;
she will bestow on you a beautiful crown."

Ah, a father passing on to his son the words passed to him by his father on the subject of how to handle a woman! If only fathers would be so diligent to speak about this woman. They would surely pass on a lasting legacy that would bless their sons. For Wisdom is truly to be treasured. She cannot be prized too highly; she cannot be given too much attention. For the more she is embraced, the more blessed is our friendship with others. The more we love her, the more we will love God and our neighbor, including our closest loved ones. Honoring her leads to honor.

Today and everyday, pray to get Wisdom. Contemplate her beauty; strive after her. Study the Word that you might know her more deeply. Observe your circumstances, looking for her in your experiences. Above all, fear and love the Lord, which is the beginning of Wisdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home