Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Taking Sabbatical

Below is the Tenth Press article from last Sunday about my sabbatical. At the end of the article in the bulletin version an "editor" who will go unnamed added: "Editor's note: The Tenth staff does not approve of this sabbatical." Some of you have wondered if this was to be taken seriously. No, no. My staff is very happy for me and supportive. They think...wait a second...what's that sound outside my door? Are they setting up tents?!



Taking Sabbatical
Seven years ago I returned to Tenth Church on January 1, 2005. That length of time matches the term I served earlier from 1992-1999 in the same position of Executive Minister. One relevant policy that I introduced to the Session in that first term was the provision of a three-month sabbatical for pastoral staff every seven years. Because I took another call to a church at the end of the first term I did not take the first sabbatical, although Clive Stockdale differs with me. He contends that I took a five year sabbatical! Anyhow, I will be taking a sabbatical from February through the end of April.
The purpose of a sabbatical is to give the minister a change of pace that allows for mental and spiritual renewal and to engage in some other activity that promotes his growth as a minister. Most of my time will be taken up in writing projects, as I have done annually with my two-week study leave.
Please pray that this time will be productive and restorative. My particular interest is in developing my thoughts on the topic I call “The Gospel of Man.” This stems from the sermon series I did in Ephesians 4 and 5. You will recall that those chapters contrast the mindset and behavior of those who do not follow Christ with those who do. Writing is the best form of study for me, and I trust that further writing in this area will better equip me in pastoring others, as well as provide a resource for church members in the same way that I have made my other writings available, namely “Speaking the Truth in Love” and “What Matters.” Last year, my wife Ginger and I put into writing the lessons we teach to couples getting married. I hope to continue developing those, again, making them available to the church. I do not expect to have much time left over, but I have also had an interest in the subject of common grace and what the doctrine teaches about how we are to regard “good” neighbors who do not know Christ, as well as what use to make of the teachings and services offered by those who do not acknowledge our Lord. I will be taking reading materials on this subject.
What does my absence mean for the church? Nervous staff and officers have been asking that question! Instead of the “one stop one shop” method of “just ask Marion,” you will have to use new routes to get your questions answered. If you have a pastoral or benevolence need, contact your Parish Elder. Don’t know who he is? This is a good time to learn. You will find half sheets in the narthex that identify your parish and leaders. Do you need information related to the church? The church website can answer most questions. If you are still baffled, call into the church and the church receptionist will steer you in the right direction or find it for you. Carroll Wynne already is the minister overseeing pastoral care matters, including counseling.
What about my blog? It will continue. You may have noticed already that most of the church staff already contribute to postings (the contributor is always listed below the posting). If you have news items to post, send them to Nancy Hala or to Dot Boersma. They can make the post or assign it to someone else.
Three months will go by faster than you or I think. On the other hand, if I really did have a five year sabbatical the first time…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home