Monday, October 10, 2011

Rapping Reformed

So, this past Saturday I'm riding along in the car with my brothers from the 'hood (there is a part of my life you don't know), and one is telling me how he discovered Reformed theology. It is was through listening to a rap song that was unfolding John 3:16. "Oh yeah," said another "cat" (I think I'm getting my terms right), "I never heard the term "Reformed" until I heard it in a rap song.


I am still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that there is a Reformed movement taking place among young African-American men through rap and hip-hop. That is not where it ends. Now they are telling me about their favorite authors - A.W. Pink, C. H. Spurgeon, Charles Hodge, etc. I expected to Piper's name and Boice, but I even heard Ryken! Ryken?

I attended the Urban Missions Summit at Epiphany Fellowship, which I assure you is different from the Urban Ministry Conference at Tenth, even when the subject matter is the same. I served on a panel discussion for the "pre-conference" session, discussing how connections can be made between urban church planters and suburban churches (yes, I know Tenth is not suburban). Eric Mason gave the opening message. In the morning, Eldin Villafane spoke on what the "peace of the city" (Jeremiah 29) entails. Then PCA minister Carl Ellis gave an instructive lecture on reaching out to African-American men. To see the full roster of teachers and leaders, click this link.

Pray for the continuing efforts of Eric Mason and Doug Logan to fan the movement taking place and to provide an educational environment that will enable African-American and Latino men prepare for ministry.

And if you want to hear or read a sample of Reformed rap lyrics, check out Lacrae and Stephen the Levite.

5 Comments:

Blogger John Voorhis said...

Don't forget former Tenth member Shai Linne! http://www.myspace.com/shailinne

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, it's "Lecrae," not "Lacrae." :-)

4:53 PM  
Blogger John Voorhis said...

BTW, why wouldn't there be reformed rappers? It's just another channel to spread ideas not unlike spoken word or poetry. In fact I think in some cases it may be the only good channel for some historical and experiential stories and metaphors - eg. Shai's "Martyrs" and "As the the hour draws near / letter from the grave" (you have to click "Show more songs"). BTW, speaking of Spurgeon-Shai details his life in a rap there too, which is worth a listen.

4:05 PM  
Blogger John Voorhis said...

Hate to beat a dead horse, but you haven't lived until you've heard DA Carson rap with Curtis Allen.

Or Shai rapping about the doctrine of Particular Redemption

Or Timothy Brindle rapping about temptation, killing sin and the work of the atonement

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, don't forget Shai! Go to his blog: lyricaltheology.blogspot.com. And Tim Brindle still attends evening services (from time to time) at Tenth.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home