Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Email Scam

Now, what is wrong with this email that I received this morning? This is training for recognizing scams.

I'm writing this with tear in my eye,
My family and I came down here to Spain,Madrid for a short vacation. unfortunately, we were mugged at the hotel park where we stayed, all cash and credit cards were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the Embassy and the Police here but they're not responding to the issue effectively and our flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the hotel bills(1,550£) we are all freaked out here.Please reply and let me know if you can have the money wire to me through western union i promise to pay back as soon as we get back home. I PROMISE!

Thanks
(name removed)

Notice that the email is addressed to no one. The recipients are not listed. All the information is vague. The "Embassy" is not responding. Would you send such an email in the same situation? Would you not rather contact, if necessary, family and friends by name?

Never, never respond to such emails.

1 Comments:

Blogger David S. Apple said...

I guess I'll have to try a different approach. Next time I won't ask that pounds sterling be used to pay a Spanish hotel bill.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home