Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Charge to the Congregation

Here is Phil Ryken's Charge to the Congregation on the occasion of Liam Goligher’s installation as senior minister:

It is an absolute joy to be with you this evening. I come with thanksgiving to God that his ministry here continues, that he answered prayer for the safekeeping of this church, and that with all deliberate speed he brought the right man to the right place at the right time.

For the charge, I want to speak briefly from a text that is part of our children’s memory program: “Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you. Bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart so you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man” (Proverbs 3:3–4).

We hear the words “steadfast love,” and we are called to mind of our God’s covenant love, the promises now revealed to us in the love of Jesus, and in his sacrifice for our sins. We hear the word “faithfulness.” Who is more faithful than our God?—faithful for more than 180 years to this congregation and never more so than in this past year.

But Solomon is not just pointing us to the ways of God. He is telling us to do something. My charge is this: simply to receive the ministry of Liam Goligher with steadfast, faithful love. That is really a way of saying “keep on doing what you are doing.” I always tell people what a great congregation this is to serve as a pastor. Now don’t let me down!

First, love your pastor with the gift of encouragement. Ministers thrive on the encouragement of the people of God—most specifically, words that relate to God’s work in your life, including through their ministry of God’s Word.

I’ll tell you a little secret. From my first day here as pastor back in 1995, I kept a file of encouraging notes. My idea was that I would save those notes for my dark night of despair. I’ll tell you another secret: I’ve never gone back to look at any of those notes. I think the reason is because there was such a constant supply of encouragement that I was never at that place of despair. Will you love Liam Goligher with the gift of encouragement?

Will you love him as well with the gift of prayer? When it comes to ministers, congregations pretty much get what they pray for; so pray accordingly! Doubtless many of you have been praying for God to provide the right man to be senior minister and praying for the Golighers faithfully through this time of transition. This is not the time to say, “Now over to you, Pastor.” It is the time to continue in that faithful ministry of prayer.

Finally, love your pastor with the gift of obedience. Now that is a strong word, but I use it advisedly. I believe that the people of God are blessed when they follow the lead of their shepherds. And so I charge you to receive the ministry of this man as the Word of God. John Calvin said that when you have a faithful minister standing before the Bible and proclaiming God’s Word, it is as if Christ himself stands there with open mouth proclaiming to you the gospel. So receive the Word that he proclaims: believe what he tells you to believe; practice what he tells you to practice; stop doing what he tells you to stop doing; heed the counsel that he tells you to heed.

Liam Goligher will challenge you in prayer, in the study of God’s Word, in missions, in personal evangelism, in gospel holiness. What a tremendous opportunity this is for you. Do not stand in judgment over his ministry, but stand under it, receiving it in humble obedience, and I believe you will be greatly blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home