Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Walking with Wisdom

Sunday's sermon, "Walking with Wisdom," from Ephesians 5:15-17 is now available in manuscript. The message seemed to touch home on matters many of you were already thinking about, namely the use of your time and dependency on being connected to sounds and stimulation. To test your dependency on whatever - TV, internet, smart phones, iPods, etc. - try fasting for a day or few days and see how much of a struggle it is. Can you sit in a car or a bus without the radio or cd player or iPod playing? Occasionally I will take such fasts, such as going a month without TV or radio or some other activity that claims my attention. One benefit is that you might discover that missing time you have wanted for prayer. Really, the only difference between "thinking" and "praying" is adding God into the conversation with yourself.

Let me know if you do try a fast. I'll be interested in the results.

4 Comments:

Anonymous AC said...

Here's a short but related story: While teaching a seminar on Values and Technology at Penn, I encouraged my students to similarly take a "technology fast" over their spring break. One student took up the challenge and said it was a remarkable experience...undergrads these days have Blackberries and all sorts of other gadgets that keep them constantly engaged in media!

Personally speaking, my husband and I discarded our TV after it got smoke damaged and never bought a replacement. We've both independently remarked how it has significantly improved our lives. We now have more time for thought (personal reflection and meditation) and for people, as well as a raised awareness into how aggressively we were advertised at now that we don't have commercials to watch. Yours is a good recommendation indeed!

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't had TV channels for years, but discovered last summer that I could watch things on my computer. It's something that is easy for me to become addicted to... and I did! For lent, I gave it up and it's amazing how much more time I have to be productive. That is why I gave TV up years ago.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous MRA said...

I made the simple step of turning off the music / news in my drive to work in the morning this week and I was struck by how seemingly difficult it was at first; I had not realized I became so dependent on distraction to get me through my drive. Once I did it, however, my drive became much more meaningful and reflective, which is an odd thing to say about a daily commute.

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon where we spent 9 days without a television, radio, computer, blackberry or any other electronic device with a screen and it was a lovely way to begin our lives together without (many of) the distractions of the world. Perhaps the next step for us is some variation or fulfillment of AC's situation!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Marion's sermon certainly convicted me to get the earbuds out of my ears and force myself to allow the Spirit to speak. My audiobook listening started out innnocently enough but over time became a method of escape and the Spirit could not get through to address my needs. Although I had my daily early morning quiet time, this sermon helped me to see that I was walking foolishly. As of Monday, I am being more deliberate to stay tuned to the Lord!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home