Friday, June 18, 2010

Uncle Phil Tribute

(written by Jacqueline Maddox, June 2010)

I was so glad when Uncle Phil became part of my family when he married my aunt (who I call my mom). He was one of the wisest people I knew and one of the most loving. I could really see the love of Jesus Christ in him. The first time I saw Uncle Phil (at the time “Mr. Phil”) was when I was around 11 years old at the Sunday school picnic and he was giving out Tastycakes. At that age I was looking for a father figure. I remember the first conversation he had with me was about the beginning of the world and where people came from. I said something about dinosaurs. But he answered that we come from dust, which comes from nothing, and he started to talk about the Bible. A couple of years later, Uncle Phil started to give Bible studies to my aunt and me. It continued until he became too ill.


I didn’t realize it at the time, but over the years I’ve adopted Uncle Phil as my father in my heart. He treated me like a daughter and always corrected me when I was wrong. Of course I didn’t like it, but I wanted to change my ways. I listened to him because he led by example, and he always talked to me. He never discouraged me but always encouraged me and because of that, I’m more confident. I’m so happy that he opened his home to me when I had nowhere else to live. By staying at his house with my aunt after they got married in September, I grew up so much more than I had in four years. He taught me to be more responsible and because of that, I grew mature in a different way. And I will always keep what he taught me in my heart as long as I live on this earth.

I always wished he were my father because he was a role model. He was someone I wanted to be more like. I know he was my uncle, but in my heart I see him as a father. He was the closest thing to a dad that I had.

Praise the Lord for blessing my aunt (who I call mom) with a decent, God fearing man like Phil, who loved, protected, and cherished her until the end. He treated her like a queen. I’ve never seen her so happy in all of my life. They made a beautiful couple and were a perfect match. I wished the Lord could have given them more time…and I mean years together. I know the Lord had his reasons for taking Uncle Phil home, but I thought it was way too soon.

He will be deeply missed and forever loved.

~ I will always love Uncle Phil
We’ll see you again soon in heaven
Jacqueline

3 Comments:

Anonymous Christiana Fitzpatrick said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful man! Thank you Jacqueline.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Sharon S. said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Jacqueline. The ways God cared for you through your 'Uncle Phil' really shines through what your wrote. Amen!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Cora's Asian Oddyssey said...

What a wonderful tribute, Jacqueline. I rejoice that the Lord brought you in contact with this wonderful man, and for all that he taught you. I can't imagine a better father figure!

I'm sure you miss him greatly and I pray that this will be a time to grow closer to your Heavenly Father, whom Phil served so faithfully.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home