Thursday, February 25, 2010

From Both Sides Now

Andrew Canavan, a son of Tenth Church and now on staff at Wheaton College sent in these remarks that helps us see both sides of Phil's new call.

Like many at Tenth, I was shocked when I heard that Dr. Ryken had been called as Wheaton's next president. While not at all doubtful he would do a great job as president, I knew how committed he is to Tenth and to pastoral ministry. As I thought about it more, that shock quickly turned into gratitude for God's provision of someone like Dr. Ryken to lead Wheaton College in the years to come. Though I'm sad that he'll be leaving Tenth much sooner than anyone expected, I've had a few interactions over the past few days that have confirmed for me God's call of Dr. Ryken to Wheaton. Topping that list would certainly be the congregational meeting on Sunday. Being there to see the elders, the congregation, and the Ryken family trusting the Lord as he takes us in unexpected directions was a big encouragement to me to trust God's sovereign care.

This past Tuesday I was back on campus at Wheaton (where I serve as an Admissions Counselor), and we had a campus staff meeting where Dr. Ryken was introduced for the first time. He did a great job of connecting with the staff and sharing a bit more about his vision for Wheaton. After leaving that meeting, I was talking with a co-worker who had been really interested in what kind of president Dr. Ryken might be. She summed up the feeling of the staff well by saying (roughly) "I wasn't sure what to think about the selection of Dr. Ryken until this meeting. Hearing him speak, seeing his deep love for Wheaton College, and experiencing his pastor's heart, I am convinced now that Dr. Ryken is the right man for the job." After that staff meeting, I also felt great joy and excitement for how the Lord will use Dr. Ryken to impact Wheaton. His clear gospel emphasis on the grace and love of God in the work of Christ for us is exactly what the Wheaton community needs right now.

Like many back home, I'm experiencing a mix of emotions - it's strange to be a member of the Wheaton community and a member of Tenth. I'm grateful that God has provided a godly man to be president of Wheaton and to impact the thousands of students who make up the Wheaton community. At the same time, his departure is a loss for Tenth. I'm encouraged, though, that just as the Lord provided exactly the right man for Wheaton College, he will provide exactly the right man to be the new Senior Minister at Tenth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home