Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Keller Packed Out

So, I walk from the church to the Penn museum to hear Tim Keller speak on his book, The Reason for God (#11 on the New York Times bestseller list for hardback nonfiction books). I follow the entrance signs around left of the building. I walk in only to be instructed by the desk person to walk around to the other side of the building. As I turn the corner, I see a long line stretching out to the street. The 700+ seating auditorium is already packed. There is this big bouncer dude named Chun holding people back and periodically calling out names of "special" guests. Sadly, I walked away home.

If any of you "special" people got in, send me comments to post. You know, in my church in Florida I was the pastor of Tim's parents. I think I'll contact them and complain that I did not get special treatment.

3 Comments:

Blogger s duggan said...

Well since you are also a former Tenth Church Librarian I will give you preferential treatment over others who got shut out and let you have first shot at the copy of Mr.Kellers book that I just bought for the library collection. Let me know if you want it other wise I will put it on the "New Books" display Sunday morning and let the crowds line up to check it out. Maybe I could take donations to the captial campaign fund as a way of deciding who gets to check it out first? (As long as the funds were dedicated to increased library space of course!) OK, OK, probably not, we will just go with first come first severed as usual.

10:12 AM  
Blogger M Clark said...

I have the book and am halfway through it. All the more reason I should have been let in!

11:51 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

The lecture was impressive from a few perspectives. First, it was indeed an event. When that many people gather together (on a weeknight at a secular academic institution) to see a, well, older man speak about God--something's up here. Then there was the lecture itself. It was a well-crafted series of arguments for the case for God. He got a bit of the gospel in at the end as he pointed out the need to commit once you've concluded the case makes sense. But during Q&A, one person challenged him to actually say what the Gospel is. Tim was happy to oblige.

It was an exciting event.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home