Friday, June 15, 2007

Applying the Principles

Drew Hammell sent this in:

I have lived in New Brunswick for seven years now, and have interned at a small church plant for three. I wanted to let you know that the messages that Aaron Messner used to teach on the Nehemiah Project inspired me a great deal. Tim Keller also preaches about the importance of community a lot in New York. I've tried to apply the godly principles that Tenth and Redeemer emphasize.

We have been praying about revival and a stronger community in New Brunswick for several years now, and we are happy to see how the Lord is working. We have Bible studies every Tuesday night, and this summer we have been hosting weekly bbq's for the community. Last night 15 people came out in the pouring rain!

It's really cool to sit back and watch my friends grow spiritually. When you lead a Christian group, you don't get to choose who comes; I'm happy when anybody shows up! Our group is probably one of the most random groups of people you could imagine -- we have homeless people, terminally ill people, mentally ill people, college students and working professionals. This is the point, of course; God uses the random people of the world to carry out His will. Our group struggles with a lot of problems, and we don't really have good answers to help each other. We all kind of go through it together. It's tough for us to relate sometimes since we lead very different lives. In the big picture though, we see God working and shaping us into who He wants us to be.

I wanted to give you an update to encourage you and the church. The Nehemiah Project is a wonderful idea, and I've tried to teach the book and share the ideals as best I can (with plenty of help from Boice's commentary). Tenth and Redeemer are both so big and they influence many people. I've desired to live in either Philly or NY for a very long time, but for some reason the Lord has kept me in New Brunswick. I am certain it is because He wants me to be inspired by the big churches and share the ideals with this smaller church.

Thanks for the work you are doing, you never know who you will influence!

2 Comments:

Blogger mar13 said...

Can you say more about where I can get the "Nehemiah Project"? Thanks.

5:04 PM  
Blogger leila said...

mar13- i believe drew is referring to the book of nehemiah in the old testament, and dr boice's commentary on that book.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home