Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Baptism Biblio

Books to recommend for reading on baptism:

Infant Baptism: What Christian Parents Should Know, by John Sartelle. A small booklet written for parents.
The Case for Covenantal Infant Baptism, edited by Gregg Strawbridge
Children of the Promise, by Robert R. Booth, P&R
The Shaping of the Reformed Baptismal Rite in the Sixteenth Century, By Hughes Oliphant Old, Eerdmans
Christian Baptism, by John Murray, P&R
The Presbyterian Doctrine of Children in the Covenant, by Lewis Schenck

The Sartelle booklet will be the easiest to read and the bookstore should have a number of copies. The Old book is the one that most shaped last Sunday's sermon. The others I have yet to read completely through. For an expansion of my message, you can also read my chapter "Baptism: the Joyful Sign" in the worship book Give Praise to God that Phil edited. It should also be available in the bookstore and library.

The library, by the way, has put out on display its books on baptism and the bookstore has ordered the first three books listed above.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At fisrt glace, it looked as if the title read, "Baptize Bilbo", as in Baggins.

Thank you for the recommendations, too.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:11 AM  
Blogger M Clark said...

I have removed the most recent comment. I do keep watch over comments and will delete not that differ with me but do so in a way that is likely to offend and to stir up emotions rather than promote healthy discussion. If you strongly disagree with me and especially would like a response, please email me directly. I will respond to all emails.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As one of the 36%, can I recommend Paul Jewett's "Infant Baptism and the Covenant of Grace"?

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, now that may cause a little conversation! And that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW- I do like the idea of Bilbo Baggins being baptized.

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home