Friday, May 05, 2006

Using STTIL

I want you to consider how to make use of the STTIL talks. These are twelve messages, each about 10 minutes (give or take 30 seconds). They are available in audio and in print. You can listen on your computer, download onto your Ipod, or onto a cd. Listen while taking a walk or running an errand or commuting to work. Make them a part of your devotionals. I would particularly like to see small groups using them. Perhaps listen to them as a group and then have discussion. The twelve lessons make up the time of a three-month quarter.

I certainly would like to get your feedback. I would like to see this form of communications be used more extensively. John Voorhis reported that within 24 hours of posting, each lesson had at least 130 downloads. That is already more than the number who came out to hear my original talk. What if more staff and teachers in the church were using the same means of communicating - talks on the Christian life, marriage, relationships, ethics, missions, etc. I plan to discuss this with the pastoral staff at our retreat next week (May 9-10). Let me know your thoughts.

2 Comments:

Blogger kendra said...

I've listened to 8 of them today while doing some chores around the house. I already know I'll need to listen through them again, and I can see how they'll be a big help in how to counsel the girls in my bible study in dealing with difficult roommates, teachers, etc.

And I really took to heart your advice about not projecting motives to others' behavior... I think I do that all too often with the idea that I'm "discerning" what's really going on. I'd never thought about it the way you mentioned, and really appreciate that perspective.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a lot of potential for this type of communication. I think it's good to try to do more of this.

I think it was helpful to attend in person & would still hope to have "in person" opportunities to hear things delivered. Particularly as it is easier to ask follow-up questions and also because you are able to meet others (always a challenge at Tenth).

I wonder what can be done to help those among us who are not technologically able to participate? Could there be "technology buddies" or some such thing to help them? (I'm thinking of some sort of volunteers - so that the church staff will not be inundated with requests).

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home