Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Alliance

The Board of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals is meeting today. Phil is over there now. I assume Rick Phillips is in town. Below is a thanksgiving on the 5th anniversary of his father's death. I've copied and pasted from the reformation21 blogsite:

Today is the 5th anniversary of my father’s death. It is an occasion of some grief for me, but of more thanksgiving. I want to thank God for just a few of many blessings:

1) Thanks to God for my father’s noble character and joyful love. I was always proud to be his son, and I always knew his love and approval.

2) Thanks to God for answering my prayers for my father’s salvation. It was only 18 months before he died of his long illness that God allowed me to accompany him to cross where he was cleansed by Christ’s blood.

3) Thanks to God for answering my prayer to be with my father when he passed from this life. Five years ago this morning, I read Psalm 23 into my beloved father’s ears as his long ordeal concluded into glory.

4) Thanks to God for a frequent cause to long for the age to come. Next to seeing Jesus in his ascended glory, I most long to see my father in his resurrection splendor.

5) Thanks to God for many small but deep joys. Thanks for Phil Ryken and Carroll Wynne who stood in the back but close to my heart. Thanks for the satisfaction of seeing my father’s flag-draped caisson drawn with honor by the horsemen of his nation. Thanks for the exquisite joy of hearing “Crown Him with Many Crowns” (secretly picked by my father instead of the traditional martial music) as the Old Guard accompanied his body across Arlington Cemetery to his place of rest.

6) Thanks to God for the gift of his Son, who sanctifies holy tears and one day will wipe them all away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home