Friday, March 19, 2010

Preparing for Revival

From a James Boice sermon on Acts:

I often say at Tenth Presbyterian Church, where I pastor, that the most effective means of outreach and growth we have is our home Bible studies, which we greatly encourage. I was sitting on the platform the night I first preached this sermon, and I was looking at the evening’s bulletin. I noticed that right below the subject of the sermon, “Preparing for Growth,” there was an item headed: “Home Bible Studies.” As I read it, I found that it described most of the items highlighted in this first chapter of Acts. It read: “Through prayer, the study of God’s Word, and mutual sharing, these groups provide fellowship and support that are not found elsewhere.” That is it exactly. I look at Philadelphia and see the work that still needs to be done. I see the flight of our country into gross materialism and overt sin. I notice the church’s mindless conformity to the world’s culture. I say, “Lord, send a revival in our time.” But I know, even as I say that, that if we are serious about wanting a revival, we must get ready for it. We must prepare. We must use these days of waiting wisely, believing that if we do, Jesus will send the blessing we desperately need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home